Thursday, April 9, 2009

Weekend Eve

The day before Christmas = Christmas Eve.
The day before the weekend = weekend eve.
The day before the start of Easter weekend = today. Blessed day.

I can't tell you how excited I am for it to be the weekend. This has been one of those crazy weeks.

And it started on Sunday. It was great to be inside the Conference Center to hear the inspired messages from amazing leaders.

Here are some of my favorite quotes, as written in my article:

“One of the greatest consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path alone we do not have to do so,” Elder Holland said. “His solitary journey bought great company to us for our little version of that path.”

“Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are,” Elder Holland said.

It was great to have the transcripts of the talks to follow along with because I could hear and read the messages simultaneously.

Monday turned out to be a crazy day too. It all started when I picked up a copy of the newspaper and saw the worst possible typographical error on the front page. Under a picture of the Quorum of the Twelve it said, “Members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostates and other general authorities raise their hands in a sustaining vote. . . .”

That's right. "Apostates."

Now that would be a relatively minor mistake on any other campus, but here at BYU it was a big deal, considering the relationship between the people whose title was misspelled and the university.

Immediately the thousands of newspapers were pulled off the newsstands. The department wanted to take quick action so I was assigned, with my good friend, to write a story to be posted online as soon as possible explaining the situation.

Here's the link to the article: http://newnewsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/72090

I hoped, for the sake of the department and university, the story about the mistake wouldn't spread. But it was picked up and written about by many news outlets and is now all over the web and other media.

The week has been crazy since then. The end of the semester is a hectic time. On this day of Passover, I am very excited for Easter. And not just because it is on a weekend.

5 comments:

  1. haha! that's really funny; I mean I guess it could be taken seriously, but really it's just funny :) I enjoyed conference too; Elder Holland gave a great talk. Good thinkin' on the mother's lounge - I bet you had the best seats in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abram, I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spencer told me he doesn't really like your blog, but I do, and for that reason I think you should be a print major... What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abram I really like your blog! and I really like you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABRAM! Your comment on my blog was one of the top funniest things of my day slash please update your blog!

    ReplyDelete