Monday, April 20, 2009

In Loving Memory



Today I’m thinking about my amazing father. This day marks the fourth anniversary of his death. Dad was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was twelve years old and fought a courageous battle with the disease for ten years until he eventually could fight no more.


Although I admit I occasionally felt sorry for my situation when I was young, I am truly grateful now for the experience of watching my father face his trial with faith and determination. The positive attitude he maintained, in spite of his tremendous struggle, taught me more than I could have learned from him had he been a “normal” dad in good health.

When someone we love dearly passes on, they are not completely removed from us; there’s a part of them that remains as part of who we are. Although our faith teaches our hearts they are spiritually alive in a place superior to the earth, we still long to be with them again. The miracle in all of this is that as we emulate the qualities we admired in our loved one we help their legacy continue. We can help do the things they desire to have done on the earth--the things they would do if they were permitted to stay here longer.

The other day this song randomly popped up as I was listening to Pandora Internet Radio (this is just a version I found on YouTube):



I think it’s important for us to remember that those who have died aren’t gone to us. They live on in the world of spirits, waiting anxiously (as are we) for our joyous reunion. They are doing important work.

I know we can have special moments that help us feel connected to them. I love the quote from Scottish Poet James Barrie that President Monson always says:

“God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.”

During the hard times—the “December”—days I hope we can all remember our blessed memories that we hold sacred. I am so grateful for the memories God graciously allowed me to create with my inspirational father. I hope to use those memories of his strong character to pattern my life after.

9 comments:

  1. Abram! This was a fabulous post. I hope it was done while you were laying in bed in your pajamas on a rainy first day of reading days? Putting blogging on the top of your to-do list for the summer so we can keep tabs on you. And Spencer and I want to join PRSSA. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abram- What a sweet post. I was so glad that I was able to know your dad even a little bit before he passed away and wish that things could have been different for him. I constantly hear people saying wonderful things about the man he is and I imagine you are much like him. Thanks again for your post. The things you wrote have helped me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Abram! I loved your dad and I see a lot of qualities that you and he share. He is truly missed. Love ya! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abram! That was a really nice post! And I really wish that SPJ did have a cubicle in the PRSSA office so that Courtney and I could be in there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post-- your dad was one of the most amazing people I have ever known and an inspiration to all-- I feel so blessed that I was able to join the Jones family and get to know him. I see a lot of him in you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tribute. Craig was a great man and we all loved him very much. We were so blessed to have known him. I'm sure he is very proud of his children. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abram! On Friday I was thinking about you and thinking that your Dad passed away around this time of year, and I hope with time it has helped the grief. I am sure you miss him, but your perspective is incredible! It is funny in this life death seems like the end of the world, but in reality it is just the beginning! Love you and I have appreciated your friendship over these years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss your dad as well. He was a really great guy, but I'm comforted knowing that you know that he is off doing an evern greater work elsewhere. Thanks for your example and friendship. I appreciate it.
    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really love this Abram. you're a great writer. i miss hanging out and chatting with you about Michelle Obama slash D.U. Love affairs.

    ReplyDelete