Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring Break

This time of year is great for many reasons. The weather is starting to get nicer (or at least that's how it is supposed to be), the grass is getting green and school is wrapping up for the semester. But with the end of the semester comes lots of work and stress.

Most students have a spring break that lets them get away from the stresses of school for a bit and provides a renewed energy to finish the term. BYU doesn't.

These last few weeks have been hectic at school and I was going CRAZY! But a couple of things the last few days have been a mental spring break of sorts and helped me get my sanity back.

On Thursday, my roommates and I decided to go to Salt Lake. We went to the temple and the film "Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration."

It was so good to be in such a place of serenity and beauty for a couple of hours. I turned my cell phone off as I entered the temple, and was completely free to focus on spiritual things. It was a great opportunity to re-evaluate my priorities in life. Of course, after it was all over it was a drag to turn my cell phone and see missed text messages and voice mails. I'm in the middle of a fund raising campaign right now and am constantly contacted by confused students. Aah!

The movie was fantastic and helped me realize my trials are pretty insignificant compared to the ones my ancestors faced. I am truly blessed.

But the "spring break" didn't end on Thursday. The LDS General Conference started today. I spent 6 hours listening to inspired messages that helped me feel closer to the Lord.

For the Priesthood session, we went to a nearby church building. Because there is such a high concentration of Mormons in my neighborhood, the place was filled to capacity with people watching the satellite broadcast. The only seats we could find were in an interesting place.

This place was the one room we knew wouldn't be full of men: THE MOTHER'S LOUNGE.









I guess you can tell from the pictures that we had "filling" experience, both spiritually and physically. The talks were amazing, and so were the chairs. I am excited to be at the Conference Center tomorrow to cover the event for The Daily Universe. Yes, the fun continues.

4 comments:

  1. That picture of your and your roommates in front of the temple is awesome! I loved conference this year too! Hope you had a great time covering it from the Conference Center! Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I love that you listened to the priesthood session in the mothers' lounge! It's a blessed space, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine is 1520 19th street. Where is she at?! How long ago did they move in??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete